kathleenmontemayor1

kathleenmontemayor1

SPOILER ALERT!
Hush, Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

This book really messes with your mind. Either Patch is an evil, stalker guy who manipulates Nora by crawling into her head. OR, he really loves her and wants to protect her from the even creepier guys--Jules and Elliot.

This is what I know for sure: Patch can crawl into other people's heads and manipulate them. He manipulates the biology teacher/coach so he can sit next to Nora. Patch watches/spies/stalks Nora. He can speak to her through her mind. He can alter her reality. Miss Greene/Dabria acts inappropriately as a psychologist for Nora. Jules can also crawl into people's heads and alter their reality. Vee is Nora's best friend. We never see Jules and Patch together at the same time.

This is what I'm not sure about: Should Nora be afraid of Patch? What did he do to her on the Archangel roller coaster? He seems dangerous but also protective. My first impression of Elliot was good. I thought his friend Jules was a moody bastard, but I liked Elliot. That quickly changed. He gave me the creeps in a major way.

[spoiler]

Elliot threatens Nora and tells her she must go on Spring Break with them. She doesn't want to go. Then her best friend Vee tells her she should go on Spring Break with them even after NORA TELLS HER HE THREATENED HER. Vee's reaction was totally out of character. Vee's reactions to being beaten up are odd. She's not upset at all that she was attacked and not afraid to go out alone. [/spoiler]

What I think happened, but I could be wrong: Patch is a bad guy but not as bad as Jules. He is also capable of change. Vee's mind was manipulated/invaded by Elliot and Jules and that's why she said and did all the crazy stuff at the end of the book.

It was a different book that kept me guessing. I'm still not entirely sure what happened. Either Becca Fitzpatrick is as adroit at manipulating the readers as Jules and Patch are at manipulating Nora, or she deliberately wrote a terrible book with stupid, unlikable characters. I tend to believe the former. You decide.