kathleenmontemayor1

kathleenmontemayor1

Tortured Souls - Kimber Leigh Wheaton

4.5/5 stars

I thought the author did a great job with a storyline I haven't seen a lot of in YA. I love the whole idea of ghost hunting, and the Orion Circle club at school is a neat concept. I thought Kacie was realistically drawn as a girl just learning the scope of her powers through her friends of the Orion Circle.

The book boyfriend, Logan, was quite charming. He was strong when he needed to be for Kacie, but yet he let her explore her own power and wasn't constantly trying to protect her when he knew she could take care of herself.

The author's incorporation of Kacie's visions, along with other objects (the bracelet, the mask, the athame), created an eerie story and I'll admit I was I kind of creeped out at certain parts. It was interesting to see the members of the group use their different psychic gifts when it was called for. In other words, Kacie wasn't singled out as "the special snowflake" while everyone else sat around thinking "Gosh, I wish I was great like Kacie." They all had a role to play and every member of the team, even the psychic null members, were important.

The only thing that bothered me about the story was Kacie's parents. I could not get my head around a mother who walks out when she realizes her daughter has psychic abilities, files for
divorce the following week, and doesn't speak to her daughter for six years. That is posited as the only reason she left and seems quite drastic to me. Also, Kacie's father seems overprotective at first (not wanting her to go running) then overly lenient (letting Logan stay the night). Kacie admits he blames her for the failure of his marriage, which is weird, and he seemed to fall in love with Dr. Hayes rather quickly after being single for six years.

That being said, I still enjoyed the story very much and can't wait to read the next book in the series.