kathleenmontemayor1

kathleenmontemayor1

The Mad Scientist's Daughter - Cassandra Rose Clarke

When I first read the description of this book I thought of Data from Star Trek TNG.

You know the episode. The one where Data gets a girlfriend. But this is very different. When we first meet Finn he is introduced as Cat's tutor. She literally grows up with him. When she is older, her parents force her to go to high school although she would prefer to stay home and learn from Finn.

Cat has a lot of issues. She is not scientifically minded like her parents and this is a huge disappointment to her mother. She indulges in many self-destructive behaviors. (Chain smoking, lousy relationships) Whenever she gets into trouble, she turns to Finn for help. There is no insta-love here, but a true friendship that builds into something else. He is always there for her even though she knows and he knows that she is using him.

It is ironic that while others can see that she is hurting Finn, Cat is in denial. She is in denial about a lot of things and that is why she marries Richard in the first place. He calls her the Ice Queen and it is an apt description.

Richard, the self-made millionaire can have anything he wants--except Cat. On the surface their relationship seems perfect. He is a workaholic and she doesn't want a clingy boyfriend. This reader believes it is Cat's "I can take you or leave you" attitude that makes Richard want her more.

Although she and Finn are physically and emotionally disconnected for years, Cat eventually sees the error of her ways. She realizes that Finn can and does hurt and that she has driven him away.

This book brought out so many emotions in me. It is a love story; it is a tragedy. It is about how flawed people waste precious time by hiding the truth from one another.

Sometimes I wanted to slap some sense into Cat for not seeing what is evident to her friends. For denying the one person who can make her happy. And then there's the smoking. I cringed every time she lit up. I know people like her; people who know the risks of smoking and continue to do so. Still, it seems so selfish once she has a young son who depends on her and when she realizes that Finn will long outlive her.

Cat wondered how old she would be when she died. Forty-seven? Sixty? One hundred twenty?

Finn would never die. He would never leave her as her parents did, but one day, she would leave him.

Newsflash: You'll be lucky to live to forty.

I hate to sound like Hazel Grace, but I have to ask you, Cat, "Your father died of cancer. You're worried about Finn and, I hope, your son, so why are you trying to acquire cancer?"

Put that cigarette out!