kathleenmontemayor1

kathleenmontemayor1

SPOILER ALERT!
Apolonia - Jamie McGuire

My review: 4/5 stars

Buddy read with my friend, Brandy. This book is a departure from what I usually expect from Jamie McGuire. I almost DNF'd because the MC, Rory, got on my nerves. Brandy convinced me to keep going and I'm glad she did. Although it's totally different than the other Jamie McGuire books I've read, I did like it.

Rory has a horrific past and she is troubled by the deaths of her parents and best friend. She is in college and works as a research assistant for Professor Zorba. He wants her to work with Cy, a strange fellow student, to study a space rock. At first Rory is angry and thinks Dr. Z is trying to replace her as research assistant with Cy. Then she becomes intrigued and captivated by Cy. Meanwhile, Benji, another classmate, follows her around like a puppy dog, begging for any small bit of affection or attention she is willing to offer him. There is jealousy and mistrust. And of course, this:
****Spoiler****

Even after she sleeps with one of them, she doesn't trust him, and starts treating him like dirt. Girl, why are you sleeping with a guy you don't trust? Also, she doesn't seem at all surprised when she learns Cy is an alien. Maybe because he give her so many clues along the way???

(show spoiler)

****End Spoiler****
Overall it was an enjoyable read, but I was left with a few unanswered questions. Number one is what was the inexplicable attraction for Rory to Cy?
Unless there's a sequel in the works, I suppose I'll never know.