kathleenmontemayor1

kathleenmontemayor1

The Beautiful Ashes - Jeaniene Frost

My review: 5/5 stars

This book is a page-turner that clicks all my like boxes. Ivy has always been different. She sees things that no one else can and over the years has learned to hide her abilities. Everything changes when Ivy's parents are found dead from a supposed car accident and her sister, Jasmine, goes missing. Ivy's search for her sister leads to a bed and breakfast. To most, it appears run-of-the-mill. But Ivy can see another dark side of it, like the outer limits, and she can also see her sister held hostage there. It is a demon realm, and she narrowly escapes being killed by minions of the demons.

Enter book boyfriend, Adrian. He saves Ivy and takes her to Zach, an Archon (Angel dude) who wants her to find an ancient weapon to defeat the demons.
david-goliath Ivy isn't interested in defeating the demons but she does want her sister back so she goes along with it. Neither Adrian nor Zach give her a lot of information, but she does learn that she is the last Davidian, and therefore a descendent of Jesus. Adrian is upset when he learns this and we find out why later on. He tells her she can't trust him, except for his hatred of demons.

I won't give any spoilers, but trust me when I say Ivy and Adrian make for unlikely allies. I loved how the story is chock-full of biblical allusions, but is in no way dogmatic or preachy. The allusions only strengthen the storyline and in my opinion, make the story more believable.

My only small peeve was that, toward the end, Ivy became a bit hypocritical. She betrayed Adrian who forgives her almost immediately, but when he does the same, she is not willing to forgive.

Still, I loved this book and look forward to the next book in the series.